- 5 small eggplants
- 3 fresh green chile peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3 teaspoons light brown sugar (Helen recommends this is halved)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces tofu, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the grill for high heat.
- Oil the grill grate, and cook the eggplants on all sides until charred and black, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and place on a rack to cool. Peel, slice diagonally, and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the chile peppers, garlic, cilantro, onion, sugar, and lime juice. Process until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat, and add the chile mixture. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 1 minute. Gently stir in the tofu, 1/4 cup of basil, and the eggplant. Cook until heated through. Remove to a serving dish, and garnish with the remaining basil.