- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1kg beef chuck steak, trimmed, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 medium brown onions, halved, sliced
- 3 rashers shortcut bacon, chopped (trimmed of all fat)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 400g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sour cream (replace with carnation skim evaporated milk)
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves and steamed rice, to serve
Place flour, paprika and salt and pepper in a snap-lock bag. Add steak. Toss to coat. Shake off excess. Place on a plate.
Heat half the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook garlic, onion and bacon for 10 minutes or until onion is light golden. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining oil. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook steak, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Return garlic mixture to pan. Add red wine and hot water, adding more water to completely cover, if necessary. Stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer, stirring. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Add mushrooms, lemon rind and lemon juice. Cook for 10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in Evaporated skim milk. Top with parsley. Serve with rice.
Source Super Food Ideas – July 2009 , Super Food Ideas – July 2009, Page 59 , Recipe by Reader recipe