- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean skirt steak or flank steak
- 8 cups packed torn romaine lettuce or mixed salad greens
- 1 large tomato, seeded, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 1/4 cups Sargento® Shredded Reduced Sodium Mild Cheddar Cheese, divided (Helen recommends, you skip the cheese, there is enough protein from the meat)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pureed chilies in adobo sauce (optional)
- Rub 2 teaspoons garlic and pepper over steak. Grill over medium-hot heat on a covered grill 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium depending on thickness of steak. Transfer steak to a carving board; tent with foil and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine lettuce, tomato, avocado, 1 cup cheese (remove, not needed) and red onion in a large bowl. Combine oil, lemon juice and remaining garlic in a small bowl; mix well. For a spicier dressing, add chipotle chilies. Add mixture to bowl; toss with lettuce mixture. Transfer to four serving plates.
- Carve steak crosswise into thin slices; arrange over salads.