Ingredients (serves 4)
- 400g rump or topside beef, thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbs soy sauce (kikkoman brand highlighted in book)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 x 250g pkt firm tofu
- 2 tbs peanut oil
- 4 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally (exclude the white bulb)
- 1 long fresh red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 tbs water
- Ground white pepper
- Steamed rice (white or brown) / rice noodles, to serve
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Combine beef, cornflour, 2 tsp of the soy sauce and the sesame oil in a medium glass or ceramic bowl. Cut the tofu into 5 x 10mm strips.
- Heat 3 tsp of the peanut oil in a wok over high heat until just smoking. Add half the beef mixture and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until brown. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Repeat with 3 tsp of the remaining peanut oil and the remaining beef mixture.
- Heat remaining peanut oil in the wok over medium heat until just smoking. Add tofu, green shallot and chilli, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until tofu is heated through. Add beef mixture, stock and remaining soy sauce, and stir-fry for 1 minute or until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Season with pepper.
- Spoon the rice among serving bowls. Top with beef & tofu stir-fry and sprinkle with coriander. Serve immediately.