Ingredients (serves 4)
• 1 tsp Sichuan* or black peppercorns, crushed
• 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
• 40ml (2 tbs) peanut oil
• 500g beef eye fillet, trimmed
• 40ml (2 tbs) dark soy sauce
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 40ml (2 tbs) oyster sauce, plus extra to drizzle
• 20ml (1 tbs) sesame oil
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
• 2 tsp grated ginger
• 6 shallots, sliced on the diagonal
• 450g thin hokkien noodles
• 150g baby spinach leaves
• 80g roasted cashew nuts
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Combine peppercorns, five spice and half the peanut oil. Roll beef fillet in mixture. Heat a non-stick pan over high heat, add beef and fry until brown all over. Transfer to a baking tray and roast in oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Combine soy, sugar, oyster sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Heat remaining peanut oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Add shallots and noodles and cook for 1 minute. Add spinach and sauce mixture.
3. Cook until well coated. Add cashews. Slice beef and serve on noodles. Drizzle with oyster sauce.
Source delicious. – October 2002